Monday, March 31, 2014

Assistance

Last weekend I went to a tournament that my mentor was coaching his team at and I saw something that interested me. We were late to the tournament in the morning so he wasn't able to get there in time and warm up the girls the way he wanted to so he was hoping that his assistant would be able to pick up the work and warm the girls up without him having to be there. to his disappointment we arrived and saw that the girls were standing around and talking while the assistant was talking to one of the parents. During the game you could tell that the girls were not ready to play and it showed because they had not been warmed up on time and effectively.  This reminded me of two things, first from my independent component 1 I remember that my teams coach picked the right assistant because when he wasn't at practice his assistant was able to run practice just as if the coach had been there himself. The second was from my research when reading my book coaching the mental game by H.A. Dorfman, I read that having a good assistant can help your team build better chemistry and can help relieve some of the stress off of the coach.
                                                        Tournament in Rowland Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment